By Chef Jim Smailer
3 – 16 oz. NY strip steaks
For the rub:
3 cloves of garlic minced
1oz. dried porcini mushrooms ground to a powder in spice grinder.
2 – tsp. of sugar
1 – tsp. of kosher salt
1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil.
For the polenta:
4 cups of water
2 cups of polenta corn grits
1/4 cup of cream
2 T of butter
4 ounces white cheddar cheese grated
- Mix all ingredients together to make a paste. Rub on the both sides of the steaks.
- Place steaks in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and brush off any excess rub.
- Grill or pan sauté steaks until medium rare and let rest.
- Sauté mixed mushrooms.
- (See instructions for polenta below) Cut the polenta into 3 in squares and then cut diagonally in half.
- Grill or sauté polenta on both sides until crispy.
- Place 3 pieces of polenta on a plate and top with a little arugula that has been tossed with lemon juice and olive oil Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Place sautéed mixed mushrooms on top of arugula.
- Slice the steaks and place on top. Garnish with a little more arugula shaved Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
For the polenta
- Bring water to a boil and add 1 tsp. of salt.
- Whisk in the polenta and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until mixture begins to thicken and whisk in the cream and butter.
- Cook mixture for about 10 min. over low heat stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese. Taste for salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour polenta into an oiled sheet pan. The polenta should be about 3/4 in. thick.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.